New version page

Higher Aquatic Botany

This preview shows page 1-2-3-4-5-6 out of 17 pages.

View Full Document
View Full Document

End of preview. Want to read all 17 pages?

Upload your study docs or become a GradeBuddy member to access this document.

View Full Document
Unformatted text preview:

Aquatic BotanyHydrophytesCategorizing Wetland Plants for Delineation Purposes (p. 755 of Mitsch)Categorizing Wetland Plants by Growth FormEmergentsSlide 6AerenchymaSlide 8Floating-leaved PlantsFloating-Leaved Plant CommunitySlide 11Submersed Plant CommunitySubmersed PlantsElodea canadensisSlide 15CarexJuncusAquatic BotanyAngiospermsHydrophytesPlants growing in water or on a substrate that is at least periodically deficient in oxygen as a result of excessive water content.Categorizing Wetland Plants for Delineation Purposes(p. 755 of Mitsch)•Obligate Wetland (OBL)-occur almost always (>99%) in wetlands; E.g., Typha latifolia, Cattail•Facultative Wetland (FACW)-occur usually (67-99%) in wetlands, but also occur in non-wetlands (1-33%); E.g., Onoclea sensibilis, Sensitive Fern•Facultative (FAC)-similar likelihood of occurring in wetlands and non-wetlands (33-67%); E.g., Euthamia graminifolia, Grass-leaved Goldenrod•Facultative Upland (FACU)-occur sometimes in wetlands (1-33%) but more often in non wetlands; E.g., Quercus rubra, Red Oak•Obligate Upland (UPL)-occur rarely (<1%) in wetlands; e.g., Dennsteadtia punctilobula, Hay-scented Fern(+/- may be appended)Categorizing Wetland Plants by Growth Form•Emergent-with leaves that extend above the water surface; e.g., Northern Blue Flag, Iris versicolor•Free-floating-float freely on the water surface; e.g., Duckweed, Lemna minor•Floating-leaved-leaves float on water surface; e.g., Spatterdock, Nuphar variegata•Submersed-most of leaves growing under water surface; e.g., Curly-leaf Pondweed, Potomogeton crispusEmergentsBlue Flag Iris Cattail, Typha sp.Emergents•tolerate fluctuating water levels•may dampen shoreline wave erosion; stabilize sediments with interlocking rootbed of rhizomes•usually with protective waxy cuticle•leaves with aerenchymous tissue making them buoyant, useful for waterfowl nests•may reproduce aerially (flowers) or vegetatively by rhizomesAerenchymaAmerican Burreed, Sparganium americanumPurple LoosestrifeFloating-leaved PlantsWater Meal, Wolfia sp.Giant Duckweed, SpirodeliaFloating-Leaved Plant Community•cirucular/eliptical leaves with smooth margins resist tearing•leathery; thick cuticle (waterproofing)•stomata on surface•aerenchyma•often long petioles; often covered with mucilage•may reproduce from flowers or by extensive rhizomes•free-floating plants produce turions to overwinterSpatterdockFragrant White Water Lily, NympheaSubmersed Plant Community•leaves flexible, often finely divided; provide structure for invertebrates•no cuticle; often limp-the water provides support•heterophylly is common•stems photosynthesize•some reproduce from seed, others by turion, rhizomes, or tuberSubmersed PlantsNaiad, Najas sp.Elodea canadensisPondweeds, Potomogeton sp.CarexBristly Sedge, C. comosa Tussock Sedge, Carex strictaJuncusSoft Rush, Juncus


Loading Unlocking...
Login

Join to view Higher Aquatic Botany and access 3M+ class-specific study document.

or
We will never post anything without your permission.
Don't have an account?
Sign Up

Join to view Higher Aquatic Botany and access 3M+ class-specific study document.

or

By creating an account you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms Of Use

Already a member?